I just installed and configured Music Collection, a music management component for Joomla. After looking at several Joomla music management components, it stands out as the best solution with the most features.
Music Collection is full of features too numerous to name here, but the following are features my client required:
- Ability to list music by artist and album
- Ability to play music on the site
- Ability to require that users register to download the music
- Ability to show a list of all artists
- Add detailed information about the artist/album
- Ability to add videos to songs
This a nice piece of software and it did everything my client required except provide the ability to directly sell music. It does, however, provide to the ability to link your music to other music-selling services such as Discogs.
The following is a list of a few other features worth mentioning:
- Front-end users can add content
- Social Bookmarking and sharing options
- Bulk uploading of songs
- Make associative relations between artists
- Integrate album information into Joomla! articles
- Music Collection provides some great modules for displaying information about your music collection; for example, featured artist, featured album, recently added music, and most viewed artists
Music Collection is a complex piece of software with many features. As a result, it will be somewhat difficult for most people to learn. Furthermore, there is very little documentation on their website other than a few FAQs and a very active forum. The good news is that the developer is very active on the forum and answers users questions.
I recommend Music collection but also caution you that’s it’s not an easy piece of software to learn and the documentation is very limited. Since it is a commercial piece of software that costs around $50, I expect documentation. As a result, I give this software 3.5 out of 5 stars. Once the developer provides adequate documentation, I will give it a FULL recommendation.