I recently created a WordPress ecommerce website using WP Ecommerce and needed a custom login so users would not see the default WordPress login screen. I installed Theme My Login to accomplish this task and it worked perfectly.
The default WordPress login takes the user away from your theme.
The Theme My Login plugin allows you to add the login to a page on your site. This is a much better solution, especially for ecommerce because your customers will be more comfortable about buying from you if the login page is a regular page on your site.
The setup is pretty easy. Install the plugin and then go to Settings > Theme My Login. There are many settings here, but you only need to set up the basics to get a custom login page.
To set up your login page, first create a page for the login and add the following shortcode on that page: [theme-my-login]
On the Theme My Login settings page, enter the page Id in the Page ID field and click Save.
Finally, add the login page to your menu and you’re ready to go.
The following list describes some of the other useful features of Theme My Login:
- There is a Theme My Login widget that you can add to any WordPress sidebar.
- Redirect users on log in and log out based upon their role. This is a great feature. For example, if you have a shopping cart, you can redirect the users to their Shopping Cart account page after they log in. Or, you can redirect your WordPress admins to the WordPress dashboard.
- You can create custom links on the login page based on a user’s WordPress role.
- Customize user emails for registration or password recovery
- Require Admin approval for new users or require that users verify their email before they login.
Theme My Login is a great plugin for WordPress and I highly recommend it if you need more control of user login. I hope this plugin gets added to the WordPress core: Every CMS should have this feature built in as an option.