The Global Meta Description and Keyword setting in Joomla provide important information that help search engines such as Google rank and catalog your site. By default, the global SEO setting in Joomla will have information about Joomla. As a result, it’s very important to change the Global Meta information so it’s specific to your website.
When you enter a Joomla Global Meta Description and Keywords, Joomla will display this information in all articles unless you add an article-specific meta description and keywords to the article. For information on adding meta description and keywords to Joomla, see Joomla SEO: How to add Search Engine Optimization to Articles.
Note: meta description and keywords are visible only to Google and other search engines, or you can view it in the page code.
- From the Joomla Administration screen, click Site > Global Configuration > Server (tab).
Joomla displays the Global Configurationscreen.
- In the Global Site Meta Description field, enter a description of your website.
- In the Global Site Meta Keywords field, enter keywords for your website.
- Click the Apply button to save your changes.
- Visit a page on your site to see if the meta description and keywords are showing in the page source code. Remember, the Article Meta Description and Keyword will override the Global Meta Description and Keyword.