If you forget your Joomla Administrator password, you’re in big trouble. The following procedure provides a relatively easy way to create a new password.
Note: This procedure requires that you have access to phpMyAdmin.
- Access your Joomla database using phpMyAdmin. You can usually find a link to phpMyAdmin in your web hosting control panel.
phpMyAdmin is a tool that makes is easy to edit your database.
- From the list of tables on the left, click the jos_userstable.Note: It’s possible that the table prefix will be different; for example, if you are using Joomla 1.7, it might be j17_users.
- Find the user whose password you want to change and click Edit.
- In the passwordfield, delete the text that is there (it will be an alpha numerical string) and enter a new password. Make sure you write it down because you won’t be able to read it later.
- In the Function list, select MD5. The MD5function encrypts the password.Note: If your version of phpMyAdmin does not have the MD5 function, go to the following url to generate an MD5 password: http://www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/md5.php or search Google for MD5 and you will find several MD5 password generators.
- Click the Go button under the last field.
phpMyAdmin encrypts and saves the new password. Now you can log in using the new password.